Pranab meets NC-Congress and PDP members to drum up support
Srinagar: UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee today met members of the ruling National Conference-Congress coalition and opposition PDP to drum up support for his bid to enter the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Mukherjee, who was received by Pradesh Congress Committee Chief Saifuddin Soz at the airport, met the joint legislature party of National Conference and Congress at the SKICC here.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who has already announced his party`s support to Mukherjee`s bid, led the joint legislature party in the meeting.
Mukherjee is also scheduled to meet lone CPI(M) MLA M Y Tarigami, and two independent MLAs from the Valley -- Sheikh Abdul Rashid and Hakim Mohammad Yasin after meeting the ruling coalition legislators.
The former Union Finance Minister will call on opposition People`s Democratic party (PDP) patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed at latter`s residence to seek support, PDP sources said.
The sources said the opposition party is also likely to extend support to Mukherjee as it does not want to be seen voting alongside BJP which has supported P A Sangma for the post of the President.
National Conference has 28 MLAs, five MPs and support of an independent MP from Ladakh, while Congress has 17 MLAs and four MPs in Jammu and Kashmir. PDP has 21 MLAs but no presence in the Parliament.
The polling for electing the President will be held on July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org