Pranab meets NC-Congress and PDP members to drum up support
Srinagar: UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee today met members of the ruling National Conference-Congress coalition and opposition PDP to drum up support for his bid to enter the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Mukherjee, who was received by Pradesh Congress Committee Chief Saifuddin Soz at the airport, met the joint legislature party of National Conference and Congress at the SKICC here.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who has already announced his party`s support to Mukherjee`s bid, led the joint legislature party in the meeting.
Mukherjee is also scheduled to meet lone CPI(M) MLA M Y Tarigami, and two independent MLAs from the Valley -- Sheikh Abdul Rashid and Hakim Mohammad Yasin after meeting the ruling coalition legislators.
The former Union Finance Minister will call on opposition People`s Democratic party (PDP) patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed at latter`s residence to seek support, PDP sources said.
The sources said the opposition party is also likely to extend support to Mukherjee as it does not want to be seen voting alongside BJP which has supported P A Sangma for the post of the President.
National Conference has 28 MLAs, five MPs and support of an independent MP from Ladakh, while Congress has 17 MLAs and four MPs in Jammu and Kashmir. PDP has 21 MLAs but no presence in the Parliament.
The polling for electing the President will be held on July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars