Prepaid system for pony rides in Gulmarg: Govt
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government is putting in place a prepaid system for pony rides in the famous ski-resort of Gulmarg, a move that is expected to curb the "annoying" of tourists by ponywallas, which creates an "adverse image" of the state.
"We are putting in place a prepaid system for pony rides in Gulmarg so as to stop the rushing off after the tourists by ponywallas, which scares away the tourists," Director Tourism, Kashmir, Talat Pervez told a news agency.
He said the department has time and again asked the ponywallas not to annoy the tourists by forcing them for horse rides, but there has been no improvement so far.
"They go after tourists and force them to take pony rides. This creates an adverse image of Kashmir. Some tourists like to ride horses and some do not...There is no need to force them. By having a prepaid system, we will ensure that tourists are not scared away," he said.
The official said the ponywallas have sought 10 to 15 days time, after which the department will strictly enforce the mechanism.
"Ponywallas have to own up and honour the system. Some of them are already working under the prepaid system...They have sought time after which we will enforce it strictly," he said.
"There are some elements...Some unregistered ponywallas ...Who are creating trouble, but we are acting against them and we would not let them annoy tourists," he added.
The department is also working on the modalities to launch an online booking system for pony rides, like the one in place for Gondola cable car, so that "tourists do not feel any inconvenience."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre