Prepaid system for pony rides in Gulmarg: Govt
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government is putting in place a prepaid system for pony rides in the famous ski-resort of Gulmarg, a move that is expected to curb the "annoying" of tourists by ponywallas, which creates an "adverse image" of the state.
"We are putting in place a prepaid system for pony rides in Gulmarg so as to stop the rushing off after the tourists by ponywallas, which scares away the tourists," Director Tourism, Kashmir, Talat Pervez told a news agency.
He said the department has time and again asked the ponywallas not to annoy the tourists by forcing them for horse rides, but there has been no improvement so far.
"They go after tourists and force them to take pony rides. This creates an adverse image of Kashmir. Some tourists like to ride horses and some do not...There is no need to force them. By having a prepaid system, we will ensure that tourists are not scared away," he said.
The official said the ponywallas have sought 10 to 15 days time, after which the department will strictly enforce the mechanism.
"Ponywallas have to own up and honour the system. Some of them are already working under the prepaid system...They have sought time after which we will enforce it strictly," he said.
"There are some elements...Some unregistered ponywallas ...Who are creating trouble, but we are acting against them and we would not let them annoy tourists," he added.
The department is also working on the modalities to launch an online booking system for pony rides, like the one in place for Gondola cable car, so that "tourists do not feel any inconvenience."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in