Preservation of heritage a national responsibility: Omar Abdullah
Jammu: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday said that the preservation of heritage and historic monuments is a "stupendous" task for which the society and the government are equally responsible.
The ancient monuments and archaeological artifacts are depository of values and status of a civilisation and these act as agents of vital information and education for the younger generation, he said while chairing the 5th governing body meeting of Mubarak Mandi Jammu Heritage Society here.
The Chief Minister, who is also the Chairman of the Society, said knowledge about the past makes the society strong and more capable of taking decisions and carrying forward the process of development along with shaping human resources in a better perspective.
All citizens are stakeholders in the preservation and protection of heritage and history, and the task has to be performed in a national spirit, he said.
Highlighting the heritage importance of Mubarak Mandi Complex, Omar said that the Mubarak Mandi Heritage Society and the Department of Tourism and Culture need to work in close co-ordination to implement the mega programme launched for restoration of the historic complex.
The meeting discussed matters pertaining to shifting of low tension/high tension lines and substation from the complex to the new identified site.
The Chief Minister said that after ascertaining the
feasibility the Power Development Department would take urgent steps in this regard.
He said that the amount required for the purpose would be made available to the department.
Omar approved Rs 9.97 lakh for completion of the ongoing water supply restoration work in the complex for which Rs 10 lakh have already been released and spent by the PHE department.
The restoration work by the tourism department should be in consonance with heritage norms and in line with specifications for restoring heritage works, he said.
The meeting also discussed restoration of Raja Amar Singh Palace involving Rs 24 crore, Dogra Art Museum, Badi Deodi, Royal Court and Gadvi Khana costing Rs 20 crore besides Mahal of Raja Ram Singh`s Queen involving Rs 9.95 crore.
It was stated that Archaeological Survey of India has been entrusted the restoration work of these ancient monuments.
The meeting discussed the project for restoration of Raja Ram Singh Palace, Darbar Hall and Central Courtyard involving Rs 24.92 crore.
Matters relating to new museum and upgradation of Dogra Art Museum also came up for discussion.
The Executive Director, Mubarak Mandi Jammu Heritage Society, Soujanya Sharma in a power point presentation explained the agenda items and presented resume of the measures under implementation for restoration of Mubarak Mandi Complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly