Prez visit: J&K MLA to draw attention on Afzal Guru issue
Srinagar: An independent MLA from Kashmir today said he will sit on a silent protest during President Pranab Mukherjee`s visit to the Valley on Thursday to draw his attention towards the mercy plea of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
"I will go for a peaceful sit-in, on September 27, on the eve of President Pranab Mukherjee`s visit to the state in order to draw his attention to accept clemency petition of Afzal Guru and release of Kashmiri youth detained in various jails throughout India since decades," MLA from Langate Sheikh Abdul Rashid said in a statement.
Rashid, who had last year moved a clemency resolution for Guru in the state Assembly, said while he supported the release of Sarabjit Singh from a Pakistani jail, he also wanted the government to release the Parliament attack convict.
The MLA claimed that he had voted for Mukherjee in the presidential election as he had assured him of sympathetic consideration to accept Guru`s mercy petition.
"Now that he is visiting the state as President of India, we want to remind him of his assurance and also to communicate him the voice of hearts of millions of Kashmiris that Guru should be released," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?