Prez visit: J&K MLA to draw attention on Afzal Guru issue
Srinagar: An independent MLA from Kashmir today said he will sit on a silent protest during President Pranab Mukherjee`s visit to the Valley on Thursday to draw his attention towards the mercy plea of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
"I will go for a peaceful sit-in, on September 27, on the eve of President Pranab Mukherjee`s visit to the state in order to draw his attention to accept clemency petition of Afzal Guru and release of Kashmiri youth detained in various jails throughout India since decades," MLA from Langate Sheikh Abdul Rashid said in a statement.
Rashid, who had last year moved a clemency resolution for Guru in the state Assembly, said while he supported the release of Sarabjit Singh from a Pakistani jail, he also wanted the government to release the Parliament attack convict.
The MLA claimed that he had voted for Mukherjee in the presidential election as he had assured him of sympathetic consideration to accept Guru`s mercy petition.
"Now that he is visiting the state as President of India, we want to remind him of his assurance and also to communicate him the voice of hearts of millions of Kashmiris that Guru should be released," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September