Prez visit: J&K MLA to draw attention on Afzal Guru issue
Srinagar: An independent MLA from Kashmir today said he will sit on a silent protest during President Pranab Mukherjee`s visit to the Valley on Thursday to draw his attention towards the mercy plea of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
"I will go for a peaceful sit-in, on September 27, on the eve of President Pranab Mukherjee`s visit to the state in order to draw his attention to accept clemency petition of Afzal Guru and release of Kashmiri youth detained in various jails throughout India since decades," MLA from Langate Sheikh Abdul Rashid said in a statement.
Rashid, who had last year moved a clemency resolution for Guru in the state Assembly, said while he supported the release of Sarabjit Singh from a Pakistani jail, he also wanted the government to release the Parliament attack convict.
The MLA claimed that he had voted for Mukherjee in the presidential election as he had assured him of sympathetic consideration to accept Guru`s mercy petition.
"Now that he is visiting the state as President of India, we want to remind him of his assurance and also to communicate him the voice of hearts of millions of Kashmiris that Guru should be released," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?