Prez visit: J&K MLA to draw attention on Afzal Guru issue
Srinagar: An independent MLA from Kashmir today said he will sit on a silent protest during President Pranab Mukherjee`s visit to the Valley on Thursday to draw his attention towards the mercy plea of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
"I will go for a peaceful sit-in, on September 27, on the eve of President Pranab Mukherjee`s visit to the state in order to draw his attention to accept clemency petition of Afzal Guru and release of Kashmiri youth detained in various jails throughout India since decades," MLA from Langate Sheikh Abdul Rashid said in a statement.
Rashid, who had last year moved a clemency resolution for Guru in the state Assembly, said while he supported the release of Sarabjit Singh from a Pakistani jail, he also wanted the government to release the Parliament attack convict.
The MLA claimed that he had voted for Mukherjee in the presidential election as he had assured him of sympathetic consideration to accept Guru`s mercy petition.
"Now that he is visiting the state as President of India, we want to remind him of his assurance and also to communicate him the voice of hearts of millions of Kashmiris that Guru should be released," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you