Prisoner`s body handed over to Pakistan
Jammu: The body of a Pakistani prisoner who was found hanging in a jail here on February 22 will be handed over Monday to Pakistani officials for being returned to his family.
Showkat Ali, son of Barkat Ali resident of Pind Sail Jathan in Sialkot, was found hanging inside the Amphalla district jail in Jammu and Kashmir winter capital Jammu Saturday.
A magisterial probe has been ordered into the incident. Police has also registered an FIR on the incident.
Prison sources said a preliminary inquiry indicated the prisoner had committed suicide.
Showkat was arrested in February 2011 in Jammu after he crossed over to the Indian side of the international border.
Reports said Showkat had been suffering from a mental ailment.
"After completing of all the formalities, the body of the prisoner was sent at 5.50 a.m. today to Wagah border (Punjab) for return to his native village.
"The body will be handed over to Pakistani authorities at Wagah border today (Monday)," a senior state government official told IANS here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP