Prisoner`s body handed over to Pakistan
Jammu: The body of a Pakistani prisoner who was found hanging in a jail here on February 22 will be handed over Monday to Pakistani officials for being returned to his family.
Showkat Ali, son of Barkat Ali resident of Pind Sail Jathan in Sialkot, was found hanging inside the Amphalla district jail in Jammu and Kashmir winter capital Jammu Saturday.
A magisterial probe has been ordered into the incident. Police has also registered an FIR on the incident.
Prison sources said a preliminary inquiry indicated the prisoner had committed suicide.
Showkat was arrested in February 2011 in Jammu after he crossed over to the Indian side of the international border.
Reports said Showkat had been suffering from a mental ailment.
"After completing of all the formalities, the body of the prisoner was sent at 5.50 a.m. today to Wagah border (Punjab) for return to his native village.
"The body will be handed over to Pakistani authorities at Wagah border today (Monday)," a senior state government official told IANS here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed