Prisoner`s body handed over to Pakistan
Jammu: The body of a Pakistani prisoner who was found hanging in a jail here on February 22 will be handed over Monday to Pakistani officials for being returned to his family.
Showkat Ali, son of Barkat Ali resident of Pind Sail Jathan in Sialkot, was found hanging inside the Amphalla district jail in Jammu and Kashmir winter capital Jammu Saturday.
A magisterial probe has been ordered into the incident. Police has also registered an FIR on the incident.
Prison sources said a preliminary inquiry indicated the prisoner had committed suicide.
Showkat was arrested in February 2011 in Jammu after he crossed over to the Indian side of the international border.
Reports said Showkat had been suffering from a mental ailment.
"After completing of all the formalities, the body of the prisoner was sent at 5.50 a.m. today to Wagah border (Punjab) for return to his native village.
"The body will be handed over to Pakistani authorities at Wagah border today (Monday)," a senior state government official told IANS here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read