Probe human rights violations in J&K: CPI(M)
Jammu: The CPI(M) on Friday demanded a probe into
human rights violations in Jammu and Kashmir over the past two
"We call for a resolve to protect and promote human
rights in Jammu and Kashmir. There is a need to have an
independent, impartial and credible commission in place to
bring truth to fore about the gross human rights violations
that took place during the last two decades of turmoil in the
state," State Secretary CPI(M) M Y Tarigami said here today.
He said the cycle of violence, terror and counter terror
in the past led to trampling of human rights in Jammu and
Kashmir with edifice of rights like human dignity, equality
and freedom becoming first casualty.
A probe is must for evolving an effective mechanism to
promote democracy and uphold human dignity in future, he said.
"The turmoil took a heavy toll on our age old humanistic
values of tolerance, brotherhood and harmonious living," he
said and called for reconciliatory approach to fully restore
state`s pluralist ethos of tolerant and harmonious culture.
In this pursuit, he said the government must begin the
process of reconciliation in right earnest to foster tolerant
culture and communal harmony and practise zero tolerance to
human rights abuses.
Tarigami, who is also member of South Asians for Human
Rights (SAHR), called upon the people in general and youth in
particular to take a pledge to preserve rich diversity of
state’s cultures, religions and ethnicities, adding every
individual needs to contribute towards alleviating human
sufferings, pain and poverty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum