Probe human rights violations in J&K: CPI(M)
Jammu: The CPI(M) on Friday demanded a probe into
human rights violations in Jammu and Kashmir over the past two
"We call for a resolve to protect and promote human
rights in Jammu and Kashmir. There is a need to have an
independent, impartial and credible commission in place to
bring truth to fore about the gross human rights violations
that took place during the last two decades of turmoil in the
state," State Secretary CPI(M) M Y Tarigami said here today.
He said the cycle of violence, terror and counter terror
in the past led to trampling of human rights in Jammu and
Kashmir with edifice of rights like human dignity, equality
and freedom becoming first casualty.
A probe is must for evolving an effective mechanism to
promote democracy and uphold human dignity in future, he said.
"The turmoil took a heavy toll on our age old humanistic
values of tolerance, brotherhood and harmonious living," he
said and called for reconciliatory approach to fully restore
state`s pluralist ethos of tolerant and harmonious culture.
In this pursuit, he said the government must begin the
process of reconciliation in right earnest to foster tolerant
culture and communal harmony and practise zero tolerance to
human rights abuses.
Tarigami, who is also member of South Asians for Human
Rights (SAHR), called upon the people in general and youth in
particular to take a pledge to preserve rich diversity of
state’s cultures, religions and ethnicities, adding every
individual needs to contribute towards alleviating human
sufferings, pain and poverty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India