Probe panel against J&K minister scrapped
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council Chairman Amrit Malhotra has dissolved the House Committee which was formed to probe allegations of land grab against senior cabinet minister Taj Mohiuddin.
"Since the members belonging to the National Conference have withdrawn from the House Committee that I had constituted to investigate the allegations levelled against Taj Mohi-ud-Din, by MLC Syed Muhammad Rafiq Shah... In the case of illegal possession of forest land in Sedow, Shopian, the said Committee has become practically infructuous," Malhotra said in an order.
"The Committee does not seem to be in a position to serve any purpose without the participation of the largest political party in the House i.E. National Conference. Against this background, I am convinced that the continuance of the Committee would not serve any purpose. I, therefore, dissolve the committee with immediate effect," the chairman of the council said.
Reacting sharply to the development, National Panthers Party (NPP) MLC Syed Muhammad Rafiq Shah today claimed that the Chairman was under intense pressure to dissolve the House Committee.
"Dissolution of the house committee is a murder of the Constitution. The chairman (of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council) was under intense pressure and received threats," Panthers Party MLC Syed Rafiq Shah told reporters here.
The House Committee was formed during the recent autumn session of the Council after Shah produced some documents claiming that Mohiuddin had grabbed forest land in Sedow area of Shopian district in connivance with some officials of the revenue department.
The House Committee included Shah, two members from National Conference, one from Congress -- MLC Bashir Ahmad Magray-- and one from opposition PDP.
National Conference, surprisingly, last week pulled out its members ? Khalid Najib Suharwardy and Bashir Ahmed Veeri - from the five-member Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof