Probe political link in question paper scam: Mehbooba Mufti
Srinagar: PDP President Mehbooba Mufti on Saturday demanded probe into a possible "political nexus" in the recently-unearthed question paper scam.
"The investigation must look beyond Mushtaq Peer (former chairman of the Board of Professional Entrance Examinations) to find out facts about possible political connections to the scandal," Mehbooba said, addressing public rallies in Baramulla district.
"The startling facts reported so far are sufficient to suggest that Peer was handpicked for BOPEE job, given subsequent extensions and re-employed with full knowledge about his shady past and activities as the head of BOPEE," she said.
The PDP President alleged that refusal to take responsibility for the acts of omissions and commissions of the government has become part of a "defence mechanism" of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
The PDP leader said the BOPEE scandal was reported by the media immediately after the results of the 2012 Common Entrance Test (CET) were declared.
"But instead of taking immediate action, the government gave an extension of two months to Peer, obviously to ensure that conspiracy involving the sale of papers was taken to logical conclusion, and also to oversee the admission of the tainted students," she alleged.
"Not only this, Peer was later given the charge of the so-called fast track recruitment process in spite of the BOPEE scandal having come into the public domain," she said.
Mehbooba questioned the "arbitrary" method of re-employment and selection to sensitive and senior positions, saying the re-employment of retired persons has itself assumed the dimensions of a "mega scandal".
Crime Branch of the J&K Police is investigating the scam after a written complaint was received earlier this year that 12 students had qualified the CET in 2012 by purchasing the question papers from a syndicate, that included some officials who were close Peer.
Peer was arrested by the Crime Branch last week following questioning and recovery of incriminating documents from the raids conducted at his residents in Jammu and Srinagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!