`Progress, resolution of Kashmir issue should go hand in hand`
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti on Monday said resolution of Kashmir problem and good governance have to go hand in hand for a peaceful and prosperous Jammu and Kashmir.
"PDP during its brief tenure had put this strategy into practice with spectacular results," Mehbooba said at a public meeting in south Kashmir.
Mehbooba said that keeping the peculiar situation of the state in mind, PDP had adopted an agenda which had the potential of addressing all the dimensions of Kashmir issue and also providing a better, transparent and accountable system of governance.
Mehbooba said PDP-Congress government adopted a reconciliatory policy by revoking POTA, releasing prisoners, preventing harassment of people which helped in creating right atmosphere for political process.
"Similarly ceasefire on the borders, initiation of dialogue between government of India and separatists, opening of cross LOC roads during that tenure were seen as great milestones in the resolution of Kashmir problem," she said.
Mehbooba said besides reviving the political process development and governance took a huge leap forward resulting in restoration of public faith in that government system.
She said PDP-Congress government started with the burden of all kinds of problems, but were able to not only restore sense of security and normalcy in the state but also start a new chapter of development all over the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH