`Progress, resolution of Kashmir issue should go hand in hand`
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti on Monday said resolution of Kashmir problem and good governance have to go hand in hand for a peaceful and prosperous Jammu and Kashmir.
"PDP during its brief tenure had put this strategy into practice with spectacular results," Mehbooba said at a public meeting in south Kashmir.
Mehbooba said that keeping the peculiar situation of the state in mind, PDP had adopted an agenda which had the potential of addressing all the dimensions of Kashmir issue and also providing a better, transparent and accountable system of governance.
Mehbooba said PDP-Congress government adopted a reconciliatory policy by revoking POTA, releasing prisoners, preventing harassment of people which helped in creating right atmosphere for political process.
"Similarly ceasefire on the borders, initiation of dialogue between government of India and separatists, opening of cross LOC roads during that tenure were seen as great milestones in the resolution of Kashmir problem," she said.
Mehbooba said besides reviving the political process development and governance took a huge leap forward resulting in restoration of public faith in that government system.
She said PDP-Congress government started with the burden of all kinds of problems, but were able to not only restore sense of security and normalcy in the state but also start a new chapter of development all over the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand