Prohibitory orders imposed in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Prohibitory orders were on Saturday imposed in the city as a precautionary measure ahead of the separatists call for march to Martyrs graveyard.
"Section 144 CrPC has been imposed in Srinagar to maintain law and order in view of the separatists call for march to Martyrs graveyard," official sources said.
Both the factions of Hurriyat Conference headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq have called for a strike and march to Martyrs` graveyard at Naqshband Sahib to pay homage to 22 persons killed in firing by Dogra soldiers on this day in 1931.
The separatist leaders were put under house arrest by police yesterday, the sources said.
Curfew-like situation prevailed in downtown Srinagar as the security forces strictly imposed Section 144 CrPC which bans assembly of four or more persons at any place without prior permission.
Most of the shops and other business establishments across the Kashmir Valley remained closed due to the strike.
Public transport remained off the roads, while few private cars could be seen plying the roads in the uptown city and other major towns of the Valley.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, his cabinet colleagues, former Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, and leaders of National Conference and Peoples Democratic Party paid tributes to the martyrs this morning at the graveyard amidst tight security.
More than 22 men were shot dead by the soldiers of Kashmir?s Dogra ruler on July 13, 1931, after the people of Kashmir rose against the rule of the Maharaja and demanded their rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH