Protest against land encroachment by Gujjars in Jammu
Jammu: Activists and locals on Monday held a protest against the "encroachment" of prime land of the Jammu Development Authority (JDA) by Gujjars here, triggering tension in the area.
Led by RTI activist Balvinder Singh, over 200 locals and activists demonstrated against the encroachment of the prime JDA land in Gole Gujral area of the city.
The protesters held the government responsible for failure to check the encroachment and demanded that the Gujjars immediately be vacated from the JDA colony, where several plots have been alloted to locals.
The protesters threatened to intensify their agitation if the government failed to remove the illegal constructions.
About 50 acres of prime land of the JDA have been encroached upon by Gujjars, who had come from various places under the patronage of some political leaders, Singh told reporters during the protest. "We want government to wake up and remove the encroachments forthwith," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev