Protest against RTI rules amendment staged
Jammu: A protest was Sunday held here against the amendment of rules relating to Right to Information, carried out recently by the state government.
The protesters, among them various civil society organisations and supporters of RTI, claimed that the step was taken to weaken the State Information Commission (SIC) and other institutions of transparency.
"This is yet another attempt of the state government in curtailing the people`s rights.
"It showcases the callous and apathetic attitude of the government`s top brass besides their adamant nature in making RTI regime and RTI institution toothless after successfully delving at making other vital accountability and transparency institutions defunct," Balvinder Singh, convenor of Sangrash RTI movement, one of the participants, alleged.
Raising slogans like `Don`t Kill RTI` and `Don`t Push J&K back to Monarchy,` the protesters demanded the revocation of the new rules and asked the state government to strengthen SIC and other institutions of transparency.
The government has earlier said it has amended the J&K Right to Information Rules-2010 to remove anomalies in the execution of the Act and bring it at par with the central RTI Act, 2005.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!