Protest over girl`s detention, police refutes claims
Jammu: The parents of a girl, reported missing from her residence since May 7, on Friday held a protest against the police alleging that they had kept their daughter under illegal custody and demanded Rs 20,000 for her release.
The parents along with the locals shouted slogans against police and tried to make a forcible entry into the Kanachak police station, where the case had been reported.
They later also blocked the Mishriwala road in protest.
The parents claimed that a person named Rakesh Kumar alias Pipli, who hails from Rajpura Mandal of Jammu, had on May 7 abducted their girl from Purkhoo Camp area of the city and they had reported the incident at Kanachak police station.
They alleged that police recovered the duo on the same day, but kept the girl illegally under their custody without informing them and demanded a sum of Rs 20,000 for her release.
"The police instead of informing us regarding the recovery of the girl took bribe from the family of the boy and kept the recovery a secret. They said that the duo had been recovered from Delhi and police contingent has to go there to bring them back and demanded Rs 20,000 from us," girl`s mother, Ratno Devi, alleged.
"Police on the behest of Pipli`s family was threatening my daughter to marry him," she added.
The police, however, refuted the claims and said that the girl was not interested to go along with her parents.
"The parents of the girl wanted that she should be handed over to them, but the girl was not willing to go to her parents. We had no option but to produce her before the Court of Law. If anything untoward would have happened with the girl police would have been held responsible," SDPO Domana, Sandeep Mehta, told PTI.
"The parents protested outside Kanachak police station today, however, we made them understand the legal complicacies of the case. Today, we produced the girl in the Court, who has directed that an age test be conducted and she be shifted to women rehabilitation centre," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list