Protests continue for 2nd consecutive day in J&K
Jammu: Protests rocked Doda and Bhaderwah areas of the district for the second consecutive day on Thursday as the quake-hit people alleged failure of the Jammu and Kashmir government to provide relief and demanded immediate tented accommodations.
The agitated mob blocked roads in Bhaderwah, Doda and Thathri areas and held anti-government slogans in protest against the government`s failure to provide them relief and rehabilitation on account of damage caused to their houses due to earthquake and after shocks.
They claimed that some of the tents which were provided by the government have been given to only "influential" people ignoring the common masses.
Authorities, however, maintained that though over 1,000 tents have been distributed so far, the demand is over 10,000 tents and added that the demand has been forwarded to the Centre.
Three moderate intensity earthquakes and five after shocks shook Bhaderwah valley and adjoining areas in Doda-Kishtwar belt of Jammu and Kashmir in the wee hous yesterday, triggering panic among the people.
The moderate intensity tremors of 4.8, 5.3 and 5.0 magnitude on the Richter Scale shook the area at 1.28 am, 1.30 am and 1.33 am yesterday.
The tremors were followed by aftershocks at 2 am, 2.12 am, 2.33 am, 4.41 am and 7.30 am.
Bhaderwah and its adjoining areas have witnessed 33 tremors and after shocks since May 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says