Protests continue for 2nd consecutive day in J&K
Jammu: Protests rocked Doda and Bhaderwah areas of the district for the second consecutive day on Thursday as the quake-hit people alleged failure of the Jammu and Kashmir government to provide relief and demanded immediate tented accommodations.
The agitated mob blocked roads in Bhaderwah, Doda and Thathri areas and held anti-government slogans in protest against the government`s failure to provide them relief and rehabilitation on account of damage caused to their houses due to earthquake and after shocks.
They claimed that some of the tents which were provided by the government have been given to only "influential" people ignoring the common masses.
Authorities, however, maintained that though over 1,000 tents have been distributed so far, the demand is over 10,000 tents and added that the demand has been forwarded to the Centre.
Three moderate intensity earthquakes and five after shocks shook Bhaderwah valley and adjoining areas in Doda-Kishtwar belt of Jammu and Kashmir in the wee hous yesterday, triggering panic among the people.
The moderate intensity tremors of 4.8, 5.3 and 5.0 magnitude on the Richter Scale shook the area at 1.28 am, 1.30 am and 1.33 am yesterday.
The tremors were followed by aftershocks at 2 am, 2.12 am, 2.33 am, 4.41 am and 7.30 am.
Bhaderwah and its adjoining areas have witnessed 33 tremors and after shocks since May 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday