Protests erupt in J&K against anti-Islam video
Srinagar: Spontaneous protests erupted in Srinagar and other parts of the Kashmir Valley Tuesday as a strike called against an anti-Islam video affected normal life with markets, educational institutions and commercial establishments shut and public transport remaining off the roads.
Attendance in banks, post offices and government offices was low because of the non-availability of public transport in the city and other major towns of the Valley.
Youth pelted stones on skeletal transport in parts of the old city in Srinagar to enforce the shutdown called by local traders, transporters and some religious groups with the support of separatists and the Kashmir Bar Association.
The shutdown has been supported by senior separatist leaders including Syed Ali Geelani, Shabir Ahmad Shah, Muhammad Yasin Malik and Muhammad Nayeem Khan. The local bar association has also supported the protest shutdown.
Work in various courts was also affected.
Dozens of people shouted slogans against the US and Israel. They took out processions burning old tyres on the streets in Safa Kadal, Nawa Bazaar, Babadem and some other parts in the old city.
Protestors shouted pro-Islam and anti-US slogans in north Kashmir`s Baramulla town and south Kashmir Pampore town.
Protests against the anti-Islam video were also reported from the north Kashmir Kangan town in Ganderbal district.
"Police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) deployed to maintain order in the city have been ordered to act with restraint while dealing with these protests," a senior police officer said here.
There have been widespread protests during the last seven days in the Valley against the blasphemous video which depicts the Prophet of Islam in poor light.
The video which had been uploaded on YouTube has since been blocked by various Internet search engines on the request of the union telecom ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’