Protests in J&K over failure to help quake victims
Jammu: Protests rocked Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday against the state government`s failure to help quake-victims, with protesters blocking the Jammu-Doda-Kishtwar highway.
Over 3,000 people of 12 panchayats converged at Thathri and blocked the highway, demonstrating against the state government`s failure in relief operations.
"None of the ministers deputed in Doda by the Chief Minister, visited the areas and reviewed the situation out here," panchayat member Shameem Ahmed said.
Protests and blockade continued for over five hours even as civil authorities and Army officers tried to pacify protesters demanding that ministers visit them and provide them tents.
The blockade resulted in a pile up of over 400 to 500 vehicles on both sides of the highway.
In Bala and Bhaderwah also, demands for tents were raised by protesters.
Authorities, however, maintained that though over 1,000 tents have been distributed so far, the demand is over 10,000 tents and added that the demand has been forwarded to the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic