Protests in J&K over failure to help quake victims
Jammu: Protests rocked Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday against the state government`s failure to help quake-victims, with protesters blocking the Jammu-Doda-Kishtwar highway.
Over 3,000 people of 12 panchayats converged at Thathri and blocked the highway, demonstrating against the state government`s failure in relief operations.
"None of the ministers deputed in Doda by the Chief Minister, visited the areas and reviewed the situation out here," panchayat member Shameem Ahmed said.
Protests and blockade continued for over five hours even as civil authorities and Army officers tried to pacify protesters demanding that ministers visit them and provide them tents.
The blockade resulted in a pile up of over 400 to 500 vehicles on both sides of the highway.
In Bala and Bhaderwah also, demands for tents were raised by protesters.
Authorities, however, maintained that though over 1,000 tents have been distributed so far, the demand is over 10,000 tents and added that the demand has been forwarded to the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Deepika Padukone to join hands with Indian Psychiatric Society to promote mental health
- Injured Aaron Ramsey not in Chris Coleman's Wales squad
- Banks to auction Kingfisher Airlines brands again on Thursday at lower price
- Delhi Assembly ratifies "big reform" GST Bill
- Proud to be an Indian! This is how India inspires the world - WATCH this amazing ice dance video