Protests in J&K over failure to help quake victims
Jammu: Protests rocked Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday against the state government`s failure to help quake-victims, with protesters blocking the Jammu-Doda-Kishtwar highway.
Over 3,000 people of 12 panchayats converged at Thathri and blocked the highway, demonstrating against the state government`s failure in relief operations.
"None of the ministers deputed in Doda by the Chief Minister, visited the areas and reviewed the situation out here," panchayat member Shameem Ahmed said.
Protests and blockade continued for over five hours even as civil authorities and Army officers tried to pacify protesters demanding that ministers visit them and provide them tents.
The blockade resulted in a pile up of over 400 to 500 vehicles on both sides of the highway.
In Bala and Bhaderwah also, demands for tents were raised by protesters.
Authorities, however, maintained that though over 1,000 tents have been distributed so far, the demand is over 10,000 tents and added that the demand has been forwarded to the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez