Protests in J&K over failure to help quake victims
Jammu: Protests rocked Doda district of Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday against the state government`s failure to help quake-victims, with protesters blocking the Jammu-Doda-Kishtwar highway.
Over 3,000 people of 12 panchayats converged at Thathri and blocked the highway, demonstrating against the state government`s failure in relief operations.
"None of the ministers deputed in Doda by the Chief Minister, visited the areas and reviewed the situation out here," panchayat member Shameem Ahmed said.
Protests and blockade continued for over five hours even as civil authorities and Army officers tried to pacify protesters demanding that ministers visit them and provide them tents.
The blockade resulted in a pile up of over 400 to 500 vehicles on both sides of the highway.
In Bala and Bhaderwah also, demands for tents were raised by protesters.
Authorities, however, maintained that though over 1,000 tents have been distributed so far, the demand is over 10,000 tents and added that the demand has been forwarded to the Centre.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged