Protests in Pulwama after man dies in cross-fire; 10 injured
Srinagar: A civilian was killed during an
exchange of fire between militants and security forces,
sparking massive protests which left 10 people including three
policemen injured in Pulwama district of South Kashmir on Sunday.
Mushtaq Ahmad Mir was injured in cross-fire at Kalampora,
42 kms from here, Saturday evening and succumbed to his wounds
this morning, official sources said.
The gunfight took place when security forces cordoned the
house of headman of village Kalampora-Rajpora following
specific information about presence of two militants there,
the sources said.
However, the militants escaped while firing on the
security forces, they said.
Local residents alleged that Mushtaq, son of the headman,
was used by security forces as a `human shield` which led to
his killing, the sources said.
The locals took to streets this morning and clashed with
police and paramilitary personnel in the village.
Raising slogans, they threw stones at the policemen who
retaliated with batons and tear smoke shells. The clashes left
the area station house officer, two policemen and seven
protestors injured, the sources said.
The trouble spread in adjoining areas prompting
authorities to deploy additional police and paramilitary
forces in Pulwama district headquarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!