Protests in Srinagar after Kashmiri youth`s body in Mumbai
Srinagar: Protests broke out in some areas of Srinagar city on Sunday after reports that body of a Kashmiri youth, who was missing since July 6, was found in Mumbai, official sources said.
Protests erupted in Nawab Bazar area of downtown Srinagar after the body of Parvaiz Ahmad Teli, a resident of Qalamdan Pora locality of the city, was found in Mumbai, they said.
Teli had gone missing in Mumbai since July 6.
As the news of his death spread today, youths came out on roads and started shouting pro-freedom slogans and pelted stones on vehicles and the nearby CRPF bunker, the sources said, adding a complete shutdown was observed in Nawab Bazar and adjoining areas.
The reasons for his disappearance and death were not immediately known, the sources said.
Hardline Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Geelani expressed shock and anger over Teli`s death alleging that it was handiwork of intelligence agencies or communal elements.
"In 2013, this is the third such incident when a Kashmiri youth has died mysteriously in any state of India," Geelani said in a statement.
"The deceased youth sported a beard and was a devout Muslim. There is a serious apprehension that he was murdered by intelligence agencies or communal goons," he said.
Demanding an impartial probe into the death of Teli, Geelani said his family had informed the police in time about the disappearance of the youth, but police failed to act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'