Protests in Srinagar locality after girl’s suicide
Srinagar: Protests rocked Solina area of the
city on Tuesday after a minor girl committed suicide at her home,
official sources said.
The 12-year-old girl took the extreme step by consuming
some poisonous substance last evening after returning from
school, the sources said, adding she was rushed to a hospital
by her family but she died.
Suspecting that some untoward incident at school might
have forced the girl to take her own life, local residents
staged protests and blocked the Srinagar airport road,
demanding a fair investigation into the incident, they said.
The protesters started pelting stones at passing
vehicles after which the police personnel resorted to cane
charge and tear smoke shelling to restore order, they sources
They said the situation continues to be tense in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'