Protests rock Jammu and Kashmir over transfer of IO in Khan`s case
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Wednesday witnessed protests by Opposition PDP over transfer of an Investigating Officer (IO) probing molestation charges against former minister Shabir Ahmad Khan, and later staged a walkout from the House.
As the Assembly commenced its proceedings, Opposition PDP led by leader of the House, Mehbooba Mufti raised the issue of transfer of IO probing molestation charges by a lady doctor against Khan.
The members held protests against the government for scuttling the investigation in the case by transfer of the IO.
They trooped into the Well of the House seeking reply from the government over the issue and also called for prohibition of the former Minister`s entry into the House till the investigation is on.
They were joined by CPI(M) leader MY Tarigami and Independent member Engineer Rashid in the demand.
Later, after half an hour of protests and Speaker Mubarak Gul`s request to observe calm and go back to their seats, stating it was a routine transfer, the Opposition staged walkout from the House.
Reiterating the issue, Minister of State for Home, Sajjad Ahmed Kitchloo defended the transfer and said that it was a routine matter.
Later, speaking to reporters outside the House, Mehbooba said that it is ridiculous on the part of the government to transfer the IO at this point of investigation against the Minister.
"It is eroding the faith of people in these institutions by these type of acts. They tried to scuttle the investigation", she said.
"The death case of National Conference (worker) Haji Yousuf against Omar Abdullah is in Supreme Court. The case of JKCA scam involving Dr Farooq Abdullah has almost been proved and there are other serious cases still pending against several Ministers", said Mehbooba.
"Now the height of it is that a sacked Minister charged with molestation of a female doctor is coming regularly to the House. You are changing the IO of the case to save him. They have degraded the House. This is a hall of shame. I do not know what this Assembly can be called", she added.
CPI(M) MLA MY Tarigami demanded a credible enquiry and said that there should be no manipulation into the investigation against the former Minister charged for molestation of a female doctor.
Independent MLA Engineer Rashid demanded a ban on entry of the tainted Minister and said that the government should not scuttle investigation by changing the IO of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- No ''tech traces'' of American University attack found: Pakistan to Afghanistan
- Intex unveils Cloud Tread smartphone for multi-taskers at Rs 4,999
- India vs West Indies, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Need to change laws, speed up processes to transform India: PM Narendra Modi
- Maharashtra's internal security law a 'jolt to democracy', says Shiv Sena