Protests rock Jammu and Kashmir over transfer of IO in Khan`s case
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Wednesday witnessed protests by Opposition PDP over transfer of an Investigating Officer (IO) probing molestation charges against former minister Shabir Ahmad Khan, and later staged a walkout from the House.
As the Assembly commenced its proceedings, Opposition PDP led by leader of the House, Mehbooba Mufti raised the issue of transfer of IO probing molestation charges by a lady doctor against Khan.
The members held protests against the government for scuttling the investigation in the case by transfer of the IO.
They trooped into the Well of the House seeking reply from the government over the issue and also called for prohibition of the former Minister`s entry into the House till the investigation is on.
They were joined by CPI(M) leader MY Tarigami and Independent member Engineer Rashid in the demand.
Later, after half an hour of protests and Speaker Mubarak Gul`s request to observe calm and go back to their seats, stating it was a routine transfer, the Opposition staged walkout from the House.
Reiterating the issue, Minister of State for Home, Sajjad Ahmed Kitchloo defended the transfer and said that it was a routine matter.
Later, speaking to reporters outside the House, Mehbooba said that it is ridiculous on the part of the government to transfer the IO at this point of investigation against the Minister.
"It is eroding the faith of people in these institutions by these type of acts. They tried to scuttle the investigation", she said.
"The death case of National Conference (worker) Haji Yousuf against Omar Abdullah is in Supreme Court. The case of JKCA scam involving Dr Farooq Abdullah has almost been proved and there are other serious cases still pending against several Ministers", said Mehbooba.
"Now the height of it is that a sacked Minister charged with molestation of a female doctor is coming regularly to the House. You are changing the IO of the case to save him. They have degraded the House. This is a hall of shame. I do not know what this Assembly can be called", she added.
CPI(M) MLA MY Tarigami demanded a credible enquiry and said that there should be no manipulation into the investigation against the former Minister charged for molestation of a female doctor.
Independent MLA Engineer Rashid demanded a ban on entry of the tainted Minister and said that the government should not scuttle investigation by changing the IO of the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800