Pulwama gunbattle ends; 2 militants killed
Srinagar: The 19-hour gunbattle between militants and security forces in Pulwama district of south Kashmir ended this afternoon with the killing of a holed-up ultra, taking the number of militants killed to two.
Divisional Commander of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) outfit Altaf Baba alias `Gazi Baba` was killed in the encounter yesterday, while his associate Mohammad Abbass Nengroo was shot dead today, police said.
The gunbattle broke out yesterday afternoon in Rajpora area of the district, 45 kms from here, when a foot patrol of 44 Rashtriya Rifles came under firing from the militants.
A police spokesman said the self-styled Divisional Commander of JeM was killed in the gunbattle yesterday. His body was retrieved from the encounter site early morning and handed over to his family.
Negroo, who was hiding in the area, opened fire on the security search party at around 4 AM after a night-long lull, triggering a fresh gunbattle which led to his killing, the spokesman said.
He said security forces had maintained a tight cordon around the militants throughout the night to prevent them from escaping.
Meanwhile, five policemen were injured when their vehicle turned turtle while dealing with protests by residents of Pulwama town, sources said.
They said a group of people, protesting the killing of the militants, pelted stones at the police party due to which the driver of the vehicle lost control.
The cops fired a few rounds in the air to disperse the mob, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’