Puri Shankaracharya concerned over Amarnath ecology
Srinagar: Puri Shankaracharya Adhokshajanand Teerth Maharaj on Tuesday expressed grave concern over the harm to the ecology of Kashmir caused by "quintals" of polythene littered by pilgrims along the Amarnath yatra track.
"I am sending a few observations to the Raj Bhawan. I came back from Yatra yesterday, I have some suggestions because I saw several problems there and these problems cannot be blamed on others, the concerned authority is to be held responsible," the Shankaracharya told reporters here.
The Puri Shankaracharya said while narrow roads can be blamed on Pahalgam Development Authority, other issues relating to the yatra like ecology and cleanliness are governed by the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
"Cleanliness is an issue, polythene is going there in quintals every day which is hurting the environment there," he said.
The Shankaracharya also met hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani at the latter`s Hyderpora residence and discussed the situation in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam