Puri Shankaracharya concerned over Amarnath ecology
Srinagar: Puri Shankaracharya Adhokshajanand Teerth Maharaj on Tuesday expressed grave concern over the harm to the ecology of Kashmir caused by "quintals" of polythene littered by pilgrims along the Amarnath yatra track.
"I am sending a few observations to the Raj Bhawan. I came back from Yatra yesterday, I have some suggestions because I saw several problems there and these problems cannot be blamed on others, the concerned authority is to be held responsible," the Shankaracharya told reporters here.
The Puri Shankaracharya said while narrow roads can be blamed on Pahalgam Development Authority, other issues relating to the yatra like ecology and cleanliness are governed by the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
"Cleanliness is an issue, polythene is going there in quintals every day which is hurting the environment there," he said.
The Shankaracharya also met hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani at the latter`s Hyderpora residence and discussed the situation in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?