Puri Shankaracharya concerned over Amarnath ecology
Srinagar: Puri Shankaracharya Adhokshajanand Teerth Maharaj on Tuesday expressed grave concern over the harm to the ecology of Kashmir caused by "quintals" of polythene littered by pilgrims along the Amarnath yatra track.
"I am sending a few observations to the Raj Bhawan. I came back from Yatra yesterday, I have some suggestions because I saw several problems there and these problems cannot be blamed on others, the concerned authority is to be held responsible," the Shankaracharya told reporters here.
The Puri Shankaracharya said while narrow roads can be blamed on Pahalgam Development Authority, other issues relating to the yatra like ecology and cleanliness are governed by the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB).
"Cleanliness is an issue, polythene is going there in quintals every day which is hurting the environment there," he said.
The Shankaracharya also met hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani at the latter`s Hyderpora residence and discussed the situation in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch