Quit or face consequences: Lashkar-e-Toiba posters warn sarpanches
Srinagar: Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) on Thursday warned mainstream political workers and sarpanches of dire consequences if they fail to resign within a week.
"Whether affiliated with National Conference, PDP, Congress or BJP or planning to vote in their favour (during the forthcoming elections), they should immediately snap their ties with them," LeT said in posters pasted at Gawkadal and adjoining areas in the heart of the city here.
The hand-written posters in Urdu, carrying the stamp of District Commander, Srinagar, Nawab Gaznavi and another name, Yaseen Kashmiri, asked sarpanches and political workers to tender their resignations within one week through newspapers or mosques or prepare for serious consequences.
A police officer said they have seen the posters and started investigations to ascertain their veracity "whether these are genuine or just a prank".
Ruling National Conference said such posters were nothing new in Kashmir as "we have seen this phenomenon in the past as well".
Opposition PDP chief spokesman Nayeem Akhtar said the truth about the posters must come out and police should verify the facts.
Senior Congress leader and former minister Abdul Gani Vakil said it is the duty of the police to investigate the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'