Rail service in Valley totally restored
Srinagar: The rail service in Kashmir
Valley has been completely restored with the reconnection of
Baramulla and Sopore stations in north Kashmir with rest of
"The service to Baramulla and Sopore stations have
been restored. Whatever the security needs, these have been
implemented," Senior Superintendent of Police (Railways)
Showkat Ahmad Malik said to a news agency.
Police had earlier said it had deployed additional
police forces and mobile patrols to secure the rail lines in
Rail services in the Valley were suspended in July
last year when protestors went on a rampage and burnt down a
railway station in north Kashmir`s Sopore town and damaged the
railway yard in central Kashmir`s Budgam district.
Railway tracks and signal systems were also damaged
during the summer protests last year bringing to a halt rail
traffic in the Valley.
The service was resumed in December 2010 from Budgam
district to Qazigund station in south Kashmir, and to Hamre in
Pattan area of north Kashmir early this year after the repair
work was completed and security beefed up.
Rail services in Kashmir Valley were inaugurated by
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chairperson Sonia
Gandhi in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured