Rain brings respite to cold wave-hit Kashmir
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall and rains lashed
Kashmir bringing respite to residents from the month-long intense cold wave as the night temperatures rose by several
degrees across the region.
Rains lashed the summer capital here as the minimum night
temperature rose from minus 3.1 degrees Celsius to 0.7 degrees
above the freezing point, a MeT official said.
Srinagar recorded 0.2 mm rainfall overnight, he said.
High altitude areas of the Valley, including the famous
skiing resort of Gulmarg, are witnessing fresh snowfall since
The official said Gulmarg resort, 52 kms from summer
capital Srinagar, received two inches of snow and remained the
only exception in the Valley where the minimum night
Gulmarg, which is the star attraction for tourists
visiting the Valley during winters, recorded a minimum
temperature of minus 9.1 degrees Celsius, a decrease of 1.9
degrees from yesterday.
Snowfall and rains also lashed parts of north and south
Kashmir, the official said.
He said the mercury in south Kashmir gateway town of
Qazigund rose to zero degree Celsius and recorded 4.1 mm rain
The north Kashmir frontier town of Kupwara also recorded
an increase in the minimum temperature as the rains and
snowfall also lashed the region.
Kupwara town recorded 6.0 mm rains and snowfall, he said.
The frontier areas, located close to the Line of Control,
Gurez and Tulail received two inches of snow, Z-gali received
six inches of snow and Furkian Top received four inches of
The Pahalgam resort in south Kashmir where mercury rose
by 1.5 degrees to settle at minus 1.6 degrees Celsius,
recorded 6.0 mm rain and snowfall, the official said.
The weather department has forecast moderate to heavy rains and snowfall in parts of the Valley over the next two days.
The department also issued an advisory warning land
and air transport systems of the state may be disrupted as the
western disturbances, which cause rains and snowfall, over the
state are likely to intensify.
Kashmir Valley had been reeling under intense cold
since start of `Chillai Kalan`, a forty-day period of extreme
chilling weather, on December 21, has witnessed this periods
Meanwhile, the minimum temperature in Leh town of remote
Ladakh region rose by nearly seven degrees to settle at minus
6.0 degrees Celsius, while in nearby Kargil town the night
temperature was recorded at minus 12.4 degrees Celsius, the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Good news for Rail Passengers! No service charge on ticket booked through card from June 1
- Japan keen to invest in India’s infrastructure growth story: Finance Minister
- People have figured out: Liam Hemsworth on reunion with Miley
- Afghan govt seeks extension for refugees to stay in Pakistan
- Asus Zenfone 3 series to be launched in India today