Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped
Jammu: Hundreds of people were trapped in various places in Jammu as heavy rains continued on Sunday, triggering landslides and posing a threat to many villages with rivers flowing close to the danger mark. About 50 people were rescued, officials said on Sunday.
Evacuation efforts were on in villages of Akhnoor area, about 50 km northwest of Jammu, as the Chenab river touched the danger mark.
Amongst those rescued were 26 people trapped in Kathua district due to flash floods Saturday night. They were rescued with the help of police and the army.
Deputy Commissioner Kathua Zahida Khan said: "Twenty-six people, mostly from Gujjar families, were trapped at several places in the flood-hit Ujh. With the help of the police, the army and the civil defence volunteers the people were rescued.
"Near Kot Punnu and Khagial, boats were used by the army."
Over a dozen people were rescued from Samba district where the Basantar river flooded its banks.
"We are continuously monitoring the water-level of all the main rivers that can effect the population," said an official of Irrigation and Flood Control Department. The Tawi river flowing across Jammu city has also swollen, threatening fields and villages downstream.
There were about half a dozen landslides on the 300 km Jammu-Srinagar National Highway, considered a lifeline to the Kashmir valley.
"We were able to clear the area by Saturday evening and resume traffic," said Gareeb Das, deputy inspector general of police, Doda-Ramban range. The continuing rains caused more landslides, leaving over 1,500 vehicles stranded.
Highways connecting the mountainous districts of Poonch and Rajouri in northwest Jammu and Doda and Kishtwar in the northeast also reported similar landslides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days