Rains and snow forecast in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: A cold wave sweeping Jammu and Kashmir is likely to abate as the weather office Wednesday forecast rain and snowfall during the next few days.
Sonam Lotus, director of the weather office, told reporters, "Light snowfall is likely in Srinagar Dec 28 while moderate snowfall is expected in the mountains from the evening of Dec 27 till the morning of Dec 29.
"This will break the present cold conditions as the night temperatures will rise by two to three degrees Celsius. The day temperatures will decrease by four to five degrees."
The minimum temperature was minus 2.9 degrees Celsius in Srinagar Wednesday. It was minus 6.5 in Pahalgam, minus 7 in Gulmarg, minus 13.8 in Leh and minus 15.4 in Kargil town.
The bitter morning chill and freezing night temperatures in the Kashmir Valley have added to the winter woes of the locals.
Frequent blockades of the Jammu-Srinagar highway due to snow and landslides in winter result in shortages of essentials in the Kashmir Valley.
The highway is the only road link of the landlocked valley with the rest of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Babies affected by Zika prone to eye damage: Research
- Now cancel counter-booked wait-listed train tickets online
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round