Rains in UP kill six, toll rises to 221
Lucknow: Monsoon showers continued to lash Uttar Pradesh, where six people were on Saturday killed in rain- related incidents, taking the death toll this season to 221.
While three people died in Hamirpur, one each was killed in Sitapur, Amethi and Balrampur in the incidents of lightning and house collapse, the relief commissioner office here said.
The MeT department said moderate to heavy rain and thundershowers occurred at many places over the state, with heavy to very heavy rains at isolated places.
Sidhauli received maximum 18 cm of rainfall, followed by Balrampur 13, Sitapur and Ghazipur 9, Ankinghat and Aonla 8, Allahabad, Billari, Lalganj and Banda 6, Orai, Biswan and Bareilly 5 cm and Sahabad, Rampur and Sahjahanpur 4 cm each.
A Central Water Commission report said that major rivers in the state were flowing above the red mark at different places.
Ganga was flowing above the danger mark at Fatehgarh, Varanasi, Gazipur and Ballia, whereas Yamuna was above the danger level at Prayag Ghat (Mathura).
Similarly, Sharda was above the danger mark at Palia Kalan and Ghaghra at Elgin Bridge, Ayodhya and Turtipar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Haryana Govt. to file application over Jat reservation issue today
- Liquor mafia attacks police, media personnel in Madhya Pradesh; 2 held
- 'Dishoom' poster OUT! Varun Dhawan, John Abraham look uber classy
- Starving Iraqis risk all to flee Islamic State`s crumbling rule
- 'Like Modi, next US Prez should outline economic growth plan'