Rains, thunderstorms to lash Kashmir
Srinagar: The weather office on Sunday warned that intermittent rains with occasional thunderstorms will lash the Kashmir Valley in the next 48 hours, and advised travellers on the Srinagar-Leh and Srinagar-Jammu highways to exercise caution.
"The weather is likely to remain wet in the valley today (Sunday) and tomorrow (Monday) due to a western disturbance," said Sonam Lotus, director of the weather office.
Western distrubance is an extra-tropical storm system originating in the Mediterranean that brings sudden rain or snow to the northwestern part of the Indian subcontinent.
"Intermittent rains with possibility of thunderstorms, especially in the Zojilla Pass area of Srinagar-Leh national highway and Ramban area of Srinagar-Jammu highway, are likely to occur in the next 48 hours," Lotus added.
"People travelling on the Srinagar-Leh and Srinagar-Jammu national highways are advised to exercise caution," the official warned. The weather will start improving from Tuesday onwards, he said.
Kashmir receives most of its rainfall due to western disturbances.
Rabi crops in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh depend on the Western Disturbances whose failure often results in damage to the crops sown in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared