Rape accused flees in VVIP chopper, later arrested
Jammu: In a script straight from a Bollywood thriller, a man accused of attempt to rape fled in a state helicopter used by the Chief Minister and other VVIPs after he conned the police in Rajouri by mingling with accident victims being airlifted to Jammu.
Parvez Ahmed, who masqueraded as an injured passenger, also managed to get the initial ex-gratia compensation of Rs.5,000 given to accident victims before he boarded the aircraft in Rajouri for Jammu in full view of senior civil and police officers.
As he reached Jammu, while the victims were being taken to hospital, he disappeared and later returned to Manjakote where he was arrested, DIG Rajouri-Poonch range, Danish Rana said, adding the money was recovered from him.
The state chopper, also used by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, was requisitioned by the district administration to shift people who had sustained serious in a road accident at Manoorgala in Kandi area on Friday to the Government Medical College Hospital at Jammu.
The victims had first been taken to the district hospital in Rajouri town, about 150 km from here, where Parvez had got admitted the same day for treatment of deep scratches on his face suspected to have been inflicted by the victim.
When he saw some of them being shifted out, he joined the injured lot without raising any suspicion.
"Parvez Ahmed managed to get free helicopter ride from Rajouri to Jammu and also got initial compensation of Rs 5,000 paid to the injured passengers", Rana said.
On March 8, a woman had lodged a complaint at the Manjakote police station that Parvez had attempted to rape her and a case was registered against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’