Record increase in separatist sponsored strikes in J&K
Jammu: There has been an almost four-time
increase this year in the strikes and protest demonstrations
called by separatist organisations in Jammu and Kashmir,
according to statistics of the state`s Home Department.
While there were 35 hartals in all in 2009, the number of
strikes rose to 131 this year, indicating an increase by three
to four times, a senior police officer said.
Data compiled by the state Home Department upto November
2010 revealed that there were 131 hartals and 134 processions
and demonstrations sponsored by separatists in the state this
In 2009, there were only 45 such demonstrations and
processions and 35 days of strike, while in 2008 there were
15 protest demonstrations and 33 hartals, the data revealed.
There were a total of 2,096 processions and
demonstrations sponsored by separatists in the Kashmir Valley
in the past two decades and 1,671 such hartals recorded since
The highest number of 416 demonstrations and processions
were recorded in Jammu and Kashmir in 1992 and the highest
number of 207 hartals were recorded in 1991, the report said.
The increase in the number of the hartals and protest
demonstrations was mainly because of the four-month-long
violent agitation in the Valley earlier this year.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has blamed
separatists and militants for financially sponsoring such
BJP too has blamed separatists, particularly Hurriyat
Hardliner Syed Ali Shah Geeelani, for sponsoring the violent
demonstrations, processions and strikes in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof