Record increase in separatist sponsored strikes in J&K
Jammu: There has been an almost four-time
increase this year in the strikes and protest demonstrations
called by separatist organisations in Jammu and Kashmir,
according to statistics of the state`s Home Department.
While there were 35 hartals in all in 2009, the number of
strikes rose to 131 this year, indicating an increase by three
to four times, a senior police officer said.
Data compiled by the state Home Department upto November
2010 revealed that there were 131 hartals and 134 processions
and demonstrations sponsored by separatists in the state this
In 2009, there were only 45 such demonstrations and
processions and 35 days of strike, while in 2008 there were
15 protest demonstrations and 33 hartals, the data revealed.
There were a total of 2,096 processions and
demonstrations sponsored by separatists in the Kashmir Valley
in the past two decades and 1,671 such hartals recorded since
The highest number of 416 demonstrations and processions
were recorded in Jammu and Kashmir in 1992 and the highest
number of 207 hartals were recorded in 1991, the report said.
The increase in the number of the hartals and protest
demonstrations was mainly because of the four-month-long
violent agitation in the Valley earlier this year.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has blamed
separatists and militants for financially sponsoring such
BJP too has blamed separatists, particularly Hurriyat
Hardliner Syed Ali Shah Geeelani, for sponsoring the violent
demonstrations, processions and strikes in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS