Record increase in separatist sponsored strikes in J&K
Jammu: There has been an almost four-time
increase this year in the strikes and protest demonstrations
called by separatist organisations in Jammu and Kashmir,
according to statistics of the state`s Home Department.
While there were 35 hartals in all in 2009, the number of
strikes rose to 131 this year, indicating an increase by three
to four times, a senior police officer said.
Data compiled by the state Home Department upto November
2010 revealed that there were 131 hartals and 134 processions
and demonstrations sponsored by separatists in the state this
In 2009, there were only 45 such demonstrations and
processions and 35 days of strike, while in 2008 there were
15 protest demonstrations and 33 hartals, the data revealed.
There were a total of 2,096 processions and
demonstrations sponsored by separatists in the Kashmir Valley
in the past two decades and 1,671 such hartals recorded since
The highest number of 416 demonstrations and processions
were recorded in Jammu and Kashmir in 1992 and the highest
number of 207 hartals were recorded in 1991, the report said.
The increase in the number of the hartals and protest
demonstrations was mainly because of the four-month-long
violent agitation in the Valley earlier this year.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has blamed
separatists and militants for financially sponsoring such
BJP too has blamed separatists, particularly Hurriyat
Hardliner Syed Ali Shah Geeelani, for sponsoring the violent
demonstrations, processions and strikes in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside