Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi
Jammu: A record number of 9.9 million pilgrims from India and abroad visited the Hindu shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi in Jammu region this year, an official said on Sunday.
The Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMVDSB) said the number of pilgrims has been increasing by about a million every year in the last four years.
"We are any time about to touch the figure of 10 million pilgrims," Board additional chief executive officer MK Bhandari said.
The number of pilgrims in 2010 was 8.75 million.
The board was formed in 1986 to manage the shrine. "That time the number of pilgrims visiting the shrine was 1.3 million," Bhandari said.
The shrine cave is nestled in Trikuta Hills, about 50 km north of Jammu. Situated at a height of 5,200 feet, it is a 12 km trek from Katra, the base camp of the pilgrimage.
The shrine, dedicated to Goddess Durga, has three natural rock formation called `pindies`.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know