Reduce ‘visibility’ of troops in J&K: Antony
Srinagar: Reviewing the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir, Defence Minister A K Antony today said the "visibility" of troops should be reduced as much as possible in the state without compromising efficacy.
Antony also asked security forces and intelligence agencies to enhance their coordination to thwart enemy attempts to disturb peace in the border state.
Antony, who is visiting J and K after a gap of 18 months, did the review during high level meetings with Governor N N Vohra, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and senior officials of the security grid here.
Addressing a joint security review meeting, the Defence Minister said, "efforts should be made to reduce the visibility of the armed forces as much as possible without compromising efficacy."
"Antony today called upon the top brass of the Army, paramilitary forces, state police and intelligence agencies to bring more synergy in their efforts to ensure peace, stability and prosperity in the state," the Defence Ministry said in a statement.
Antony, who is on a two-day visit to the state, said the coordination mechanism should be made perfect to thwart any attempt from enemies to disturb peace in the state.
"Enemies from across the border will continue their efforts; however, if the security and intelligence agencies understand each other better, the efforts of the enemies will not succeed," he said.
Cautioning the security forces, he also said, "in a democratic set up, like ours, there can be no justification for the violation of human rights".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth