Rehman Malik`s visit did not help cement Indo-Pak friendship: Omar Abdullah
New Delhi: Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik`s visit and his remarks on Babri issue have not contributed to the process of normalisation of relations between India and Pakistan, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Friday.
"Clearly, he has not helped cement any sort of friendship between India and Pakistan. If anything, his ill-advised statements have harmed the process of normalisation of relations between our two countries," he told reporters here.
"Now whether this is just a case of foot in mouth disease or whether he came with a natural script that he read out here (on Babri issue) that I don`t know. That only he would know. But, obviously visits like that, the fewer we have, the better it would be for both our countries." he said.
"I think the relations between our two countries are far too delicate for us to have off the cuff reactions and statements like this which are designed more to appeal one domestic constituency than actually do any thing to further international relations between the two countries," Omar added.
To a question on mercy plea of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, he said there has been no discussion between the Centre and state government.
"Needless to say that earlier, whatever thoughts the state government had on this subject have been conveyed to the Government of India. We would not like to speculate whether he would be hanged or not.
"Our assessment of the situation would be known to the government of India as and when a decision in this regard is taken by the Centre," he said when asked about possible ramifications on law-and-order situation in J&K after rejection of guru`s mercy petition pending with President Pranab Mukherjee.
Guru, a native of Sopore in Jammu and Kashmir, was given death sentence for his involvement in 2001 Parliament attack case in which nine people were killed and 16 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!