Relief soon from unusual heat in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: With temperatures soaring to over 33 degrees Celsius during the last six days in the Kashmir Valley, people have been complaining of an unusual August heat.
"Yes, it has been hot and humid from Aug 16 to Aug 22 with the maximum temperature reaching 33.3 degrees Celsius," said Sonam Lotus, director of the meteorological office here.
"Because of the accompanying humidity, people have been complaining of unusual heat (in Srinagar and the rest of the Kashmir Valley)," Lotus told a news agency.
"From today we are expecting clouds and some rain that will definitely bring down temperatures."
Lotus added that last year the maximum temperature in August rose to 33.9 degrees Celsius.
Interestingly, the maximum temperatures have remained below 30 degrees Celsius during the last few days in the winter capital Jammu, otherwise a hotter place compared to the Kashmir Valley.
Because of the unusual August heat, many locals are heading towards hill stations like Gulmarg and Pahalgam.
"I took my family to Pahalgam for four days and we came down only yesterday," said Shabir Ahmad, 45, a businessman.
"While it is refreshingly cool in Pahalgam these days, the temperature in Srinagar appears unrelenting," he added.
Many young men from Srinagar are seen these days taking a dip in the icy waters of the Sindh stream in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!