Relief soon from unusual heat in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: With temperatures soaring to over 33 degrees Celsius during the last six days in the Kashmir Valley, people have been complaining of an unusual August heat.
"Yes, it has been hot and humid from Aug 16 to Aug 22 with the maximum temperature reaching 33.3 degrees Celsius," said Sonam Lotus, director of the meteorological office here.
"Because of the accompanying humidity, people have been complaining of unusual heat (in Srinagar and the rest of the Kashmir Valley)," Lotus told a news agency.
"From today we are expecting clouds and some rain that will definitely bring down temperatures."
Lotus added that last year the maximum temperature in August rose to 33.9 degrees Celsius.
Interestingly, the maximum temperatures have remained below 30 degrees Celsius during the last few days in the winter capital Jammu, otherwise a hotter place compared to the Kashmir Valley.
Because of the unusual August heat, many locals are heading towards hill stations like Gulmarg and Pahalgam.
"I took my family to Pahalgam for four days and we came down only yesterday," said Shabir Ahmad, 45, a businessman.
"While it is refreshingly cool in Pahalgam these days, the temperature in Srinagar appears unrelenting," he added.
Many young men from Srinagar are seen these days taking a dip in the icy waters of the Sindh stream in north Kashmir`s Ganderbal district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal