Religious inscription on foreign product sparks tension
Srinagar: Alleged religious inscription on a foreign product sparked tension in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district today as protesters blocked Srinagar-Baramulla and Srinagar-Gulmarg roads demanding action against culprits.
The protesters burnt tyres, chanted slogans and blocked traffic at several places on the two roads leading to massive traffic jams.
Official sources said the alleged religious inscription on a footwear of a foreign brand hurt sentiments of the people who hit the streets demanding action against culprits.
A police spokesman said a large number of people blocked traffic to protest against an alleged religious inscription on a foreign product.
Senior police and district officials rushed to the scene and pacified the protestors, he said.
Traffic on both the vital roads was later restored, he said adding the situation was tense but under control.
"Senior police officers are continuously monitoring the situation," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Japan PM pledges to invest $ 30 billion in Africa by 2018
- Kedar Jadhav, Shreyas Iyer power India A to easy six-wicket win
- Talks on Kashmir issue needed, want peace restored in Valley: Pak High Commissioner Abdul Basit
- Gold rebounds on jewellers' buying, silver jumps Rs 280/kg
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni advances to main draw