Religious inscription on foreign product sparks tension
Srinagar: Alleged religious inscription on a foreign product sparked tension in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district today as protesters blocked Srinagar-Baramulla and Srinagar-Gulmarg roads demanding action against culprits.
The protesters burnt tyres, chanted slogans and blocked traffic at several places on the two roads leading to massive traffic jams.
Official sources said the alleged religious inscription on a footwear of a foreign brand hurt sentiments of the people who hit the streets demanding action against culprits.
A police spokesman said a large number of people blocked traffic to protest against an alleged religious inscription on a foreign product.
Senior police and district officials rushed to the scene and pacified the protestors, he said.
Traffic on both the vital roads was later restored, he said adding the situation was tense but under control.
"Senior police officers are continuously monitoring the situation," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir