Religious inscription on foreign product sparks tension
Srinagar: Alleged religious inscription on a foreign product sparked tension in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district today as protesters blocked Srinagar-Baramulla and Srinagar-Gulmarg roads demanding action against culprits.
The protesters burnt tyres, chanted slogans and blocked traffic at several places on the two roads leading to massive traffic jams.
Official sources said the alleged religious inscription on a footwear of a foreign brand hurt sentiments of the people who hit the streets demanding action against culprits.
A police spokesman said a large number of people blocked traffic to protest against an alleged religious inscription on a foreign product.
Senior police and district officials rushed to the scene and pacified the protestors, he said.
Traffic on both the vital roads was later restored, he said adding the situation was tense but under control.
"Senior police officers are continuously monitoring the situation," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption