Remove security camps from all civilian areas: Mehbooba
Srinagar: PDP Chief Mehboooba Mufti on Friday demanded removal of security forces camps from all civilian areas.
"Wherever there is a camp of security forces in the civilian areas, it has to be removed. We also demand revocation of AFSPA, PSA and release of youth from jails," she said addressing party workers during a protest at Lal Chowk here against the killing of five persons in firing incidents outside a CRPF camp in Gagran in Shopian district.
The protesters were stopped by police from moving towards civil secretariat.
A meeting of the state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had yesterday directed Director General of State Police Ashok Prasad to replace the CRPF personnel at the Gagran Camp with a contingent of the JK Armed Police.
But Mufti said it "would not do" and demanded removal of all security forces camps in civilian areas.
The PDP leader accused the chief minister of "playing politics" over the issue of controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA)
Mufti hit out at the Centre and J and K government over the incidents of firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport