Remove security camps from all civilian areas: Mehbooba
Srinagar: PDP Chief Mehboooba Mufti on Friday demanded removal of security forces camps from all civilian areas.
"Wherever there is a camp of security forces in the civilian areas, it has to be removed. We also demand revocation of AFSPA, PSA and release of youth from jails," she said addressing party workers during a protest at Lal Chowk here against the killing of five persons in firing incidents outside a CRPF camp in Gagran in Shopian district.
The protesters were stopped by police from moving towards civil secretariat.
A meeting of the state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had yesterday directed Director General of State Police Ashok Prasad to replace the CRPF personnel at the Gagran Camp with a contingent of the JK Armed Police.
But Mufti said it "would not do" and demanded removal of all security forces camps in civilian areas.
The PDP leader accused the chief minister of "playing politics" over the issue of controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA)
Mufti hit out at the Centre and J and K government over the incidents of firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed