Remove security camps from all civilian areas: Mehbooba
Srinagar: PDP Chief Mehboooba Mufti on Friday demanded removal of security forces camps from all civilian areas.
"Wherever there is a camp of security forces in the civilian areas, it has to be removed. We also demand revocation of AFSPA, PSA and release of youth from jails," she said addressing party workers during a protest at Lal Chowk here against the killing of five persons in firing incidents outside a CRPF camp in Gagran in Shopian district.
The protesters were stopped by police from moving towards civil secretariat.
A meeting of the state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had yesterday directed Director General of State Police Ashok Prasad to replace the CRPF personnel at the Gagran Camp with a contingent of the JK Armed Police.
But Mufti said it "would not do" and demanded removal of all security forces camps in civilian areas.
The PDP leader accused the chief minister of "playing politics" over the issue of controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA)
Mufti hit out at the Centre and J and K government over the incidents of firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Throwback! Diana Penty’s Italian vacation pics will inspire you to visit the country
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary
- SHOCKING! Narsingh Yadav wanted to kill himself after dope test fiasco?
- Whoa! Ranbir Kapoor's new house is ready, GUESS who designed it?