Renewal of Mirwaiz passport under process: Govt
Srinagar: The renewal of Hurriyat Conference Chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq`s passport is under process, government said on Wednesday, rejecting the allegation by the separatist amalgam that the travel document was being withheld amid reports he had met (LeT) Chief Hafeez Saeed in Pakistan.
Sources in the Government said Mirwaiz had applied for the travel document only in the first week of January and the papers were being processed on a routine basis.
The moderate faction of the Hurriyat said the decision to "withhold" the passport has prevented Mirwaiz from attending the 12th OIC summit that is underway in Cairo.
Government had taken a serious view of the amalgam leadership`s meeting with Saeed, the Lashker-e-Taiba chief who is the most wanted terrorist for the Mumbai attack and other terror related activities, during their visit to Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) in December last year.
Sources in the Union Home Ministry said details of the passport of the Mirwaiz were yet to come for clearance as the travel document is released only after getting a nod from the state CID and central security agencies.
The Mirwaiz had mentioned about his plans to visit Cairo, Geneva and Dubai while requesting for an early renewal of passport that expired on February two this year.
The Hurriyat Conference, meanwhile, said in a statement "it was highly regretful that the Mirwaiz could not attend the summit as travel documents were held back by the authorities for reasons known to them."
By restricting the Hurriyat’s political and diplomatic activities, the government has once again resorted to "undemocratic measures by putting embargo on the freedom of speech of people and groups", an amalgam spokesman said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced