Reopen Kunanposhpora gang-rape case: Civil Society group
Srinagar: A Delhi-based civil society group on Saturday appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to reach out to the rape victims of Kunanposhpora during his scheduled visit to Jammu and Kashmir later this month.
"The gang-rape of women in Kunanposhpora village of north Kashmir`s Kupwara district is a blot on the face of the democracy."
"Prime Minister should reach out to the victims by announcing reopening of the case and taking up the matter with state government and Defence and Home ministries," CPI(M) leader Mohammad Saleem, who is part of the delegation of Centre for Policy Analysis (CPA), told reporters here.
The delegation visited Kunanposhpora yesterday and met the victims of alleged gang-rape by an Army unit during an anti-militant operation in 1991.
"We will take up the matter with Prime Minister and hope he announces something during his visit so that a sense of justice is felt by the victims," Saleem said.
It is unfortunate that the Jammu and Kashmir government has failed to do anything in the matter despite a recommendation by the State Human Rights Commission, he said.
Meanwhile, member of National Integration Council John Dayal said government should not act like nothing has happened and should reopen the case by constituting a special investigations team monitored by judiciary and not police.
He also demanded adequate compensation on the basis of a national model "like in the case of Delhi gang rape of a medical student".
Former IAS officer Harsh Mander said it is shameful that police have filed a closure report without taking any action against anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister