`Repeal Army`s special powers in J&K`
New Delhi: Describing the situation in Kashmir as "critical and tragic", a delegation from the civil society, which visited the Valley recently, Friday called for the immediate withdrawal of the contentious Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in Jammu and Kashmir.
Social activist Swami Agnivesh, who led the team, told reporters here that the people whom the team met in Kashmir "complained about the total insensitivity of the central government as well as the people and media in India to the tragic happenings in Kashmir".
The other members of the delegation were former chairperson of the National Commission for Women Mohini Giri, activist and former naval chief Admiral L. Ramdas, Delhi Catholic diocese spokesperson Father Dominic Emmanuel and social worker Mazher Hussain.
Agnivesh said the government should immediately take confidence building measures, including release of all political prisoners and an independent inquiry into the killing of civilians since the alleged fake gun battle in Machil in north Kashmir in April this year.
Other demands of the team included withdrawal of the army and paramilitary forces from the cities and civilian areas and the use of non-lethal weapons to tackle civilian protests. The team wanted the government to provide a place for public protest.
Agnivesh said that an all-party parliamentary team should "visit Kashmir immediately and reach out to the people and start a process of reconciliation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor