Respite from cold wave in Kashmir and Ladakh region
Srinagar: There was further respite from the intense cold wave in Kashmir and Ladakh division as the mercury went up by several degrees owing to overcast conditions with predictions of light rains or snow.
Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, recorded a minimum temperature of 1.5 degrees Celsius, up by four degrees from the previous night`s minus 2.5 degrees Celsius, an official of the MeT Department said here today.
He said the mercury in Qazigund - the gateway town to Kashmir Valley increased marginally to settle at minus 3.2 degrees Celsius, as against the previous night`s minus 3.8 degrees Celsius.
Pahalgam resort, which serves as base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, increased by over seven degrees to settle at a low of minus 2.8 degrees Celsius, as against minus 10.2 degrees Celsius the previous night, the official said.
He said the night temperature in the famous ski-resort of Gulmarg went up by over three degrees to record a low of minus 4.4 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s minus 7.5 degrees Celsius.
The mercury in Kokernag, in south Kashmir, rose by over three degrees to record a low of minus 0.3 degree Celsius last night compared to minus 3.7 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Kupwara town, in north Kashmir, went up by over four degrees to register a low of 0.8 degrees Celsius, compared to minus 3.8 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The minimum in Leh town, in Ladakh region, also went up by over four degrees and settled at minus 10.4 degrees Celsius compared to the previous night`s minus 15.1 degrees Celsius, the official said.
He said the nearby Kargil town recorded a low of minus 12.2 degrees Celsius, up by over seven degrees from the previous night`s minus 19.6 degrees Celsius.
The MeT Department has predicted light rains or snowfall at isolated places in the state over the next 24 hours and said there is possibility of scattered rains or snowfall from February 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam