Restrictions in Kashmir`s Tullamulla following protests
Srinagar: Authorities Saturday imposed restrictions in Tullamulla area of Kashmir`s Ganderbal district following violent protests over an employee being caught with a girl inside a government office leaving eight policemen injured.
"Restrictions have been imposed in Tullamulla area following stone pelting incidents during the night," a police spokesman said here today.
The protests broke out as local residents were not satisfied with police action against an employee of Education Department, who was yesterday allegedly caught with a girl in the Zonal Education Office at Tullamulla despite a public holiday.
The residents thrashed the employee – Zahoor Ahmad Sheikh -- while the girl managed to escape from the spot, the spokesman said, adding a mob set ablaze the motorcycle of the employee.
"The timely intervention of police saved the accused (employee) from the wrath of the violent mob, which tried to set the office building on fire as well. However, police foiled their attempt and they were dispersed," the spokesman said.
He said police registered an FIR against the employee who was allegedly caught with the girl.
The trouble again started last night when during the Shab-e-Qadar prayers, the Imam (prayer leader) of a local mosque allegedly made some statements on the incident.
"This led the people to indulge in severe stone pelting. The intense stone pelting on police continued till late night. Further reinforcement were taken from Srinagar and the situation came under control," the spokesman said.
Although the spokesman said only eight policemen were injured in the stone pelting, local residents claimed that at least a dozen protestors were injured in police action.
The police spokesman said four persons have been arrested in connection with the law and order problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25