Restrictions in Srinagar areas to prevent trouble
Srinagar: Authorities imposed restrictions in city centre Lal Chowk and some adjacent areas in Srinagar to maintain law and order as many mourners` processions are scheduled to be taken out by Shia Muslims on Tuesday to commemorate the martyrdom of Prophet Mohammad`s grandson, Imam Hussain and his family in Karbala (Iraq) 1331 years ago.
A senior police officer said restrictions have been imposed in areas falling under two police stations of Maisuma and Kothibagh in order to prevent some anti-social elements from creating trouble in the city.
Shops, vehicular traffic, businesses and pedestrian movement remained suspended in city centre Lal Chowk, adjacent Maisuma locality and Residency Road areas on Tuesday.
Shops and other business establishments were also closed in old city areas with very little traffic on the roads.
Shia Muslims throughout the world take out mourning processions and hold majlis (gatherings) during the first 10 days of the Muslim month of Muharram, which is known as `Ashura`. The mourning reaches a climax with major processions on the 10th day.
Clashes had erupted between the Shia mourners and the security forces in Jahangir Chowk area of Srinagar on Sunday after authorities disallowed a mourning procession.
"The situation is normal throughout the Valley and no untoward incident has been reported from anywhere. Sufficient deployments of police and paramilitary central reserve police force (CRPF) are in place to prevent miscreants from creating any trouble in the city," a police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!