Retired judge of J&K HC to probe communal riots in Kishtwar
Zee Media Bureau
Kishtwar: Justice RC Gandhi, a retired judge of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court, will probe the August 9 communal riots here in which three persons were killed, over 20 others were injured and 75 business establishments along with 35 vehicles were gutted.
Justice Gandhi will inquire into the circumstances which led to the outbreak of violence and arson and consequent loss of lives and properties and administrative lapses, if any, in handling the situation, a government order said on late Friday tonight.
The Commission will also fix responsibility of persons involved in the violence and arson.
Following communal rites, a 13-day curfew was imposed which was lifted on Wednesday, as the situation returned to normal.
The riots had also led to tensions in other districts which also witnessed violent protests.
Earlier, an all-party delegation had held several rounds of talks with members of both the communities and officers of the district administration. They also undertook a visit of the affected areas in the district to assess the situation.
Four members of a ministerial team, led by Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, had held separate meetings with leaders of the two communities on August 18 to end tension.
Under fire over the communal violence in Kishtwar, Minister of State for Home Sajad Kitchloo had resigned even as Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had ordered a judicial inquiry into the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part V
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut
- Two Palestinians shot dead after checkpoint attack bid: Israel
- This novel genetic method could lead to vaccine for life-threatening cancer!