Retired judge of J&K HC to probe communal riots in Kishtwar
Zee Media Bureau
Kishtwar: Justice RC Gandhi, a retired judge of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court, will probe the August 9 communal riots here in which three persons were killed, over 20 others were injured and 75 business establishments along with 35 vehicles were gutted.
Justice Gandhi will inquire into the circumstances which led to the outbreak of violence and arson and consequent loss of lives and properties and administrative lapses, if any, in handling the situation, a government order said on late Friday tonight.
The Commission will also fix responsibility of persons involved in the violence and arson.
Following communal rites, a 13-day curfew was imposed which was lifted on Wednesday, as the situation returned to normal.
The riots had also led to tensions in other districts which also witnessed violent protests.
Earlier, an all-party delegation had held several rounds of talks with members of both the communities and officers of the district administration. They also undertook a visit of the affected areas in the district to assess the situation.
Four members of a ministerial team, led by Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, had held separate meetings with leaders of the two communities on August 18 to end tension.
Under fire over the communal violence in Kishtwar, Minister of State for Home Sajad Kitchloo had resigned even as Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had ordered a judicial inquiry into the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price