Revocation of AFSPA to begin during my govt: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said gradual revocation of controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from the state will begin during the tenure of his government.
Addressing a large public gathering at Rajpora in Pulwama district this afternoon, the Chief Minister said the state will witness revocation of AFSPA during the time of his government adding benefits of peace will be circulated all across, an official spokesman said.
Omar said his endeavour is to take peace dividends to every household and make the public fully empowered to ask questions about the performance of government at all levels.
Taking a dig at opposition PDP leadership, the Chief Minister, without naming them, said when they were in power they never talked about revocation of AFSPA or other such related issues.
He said PDP voted against the rehabilitation policy resolution moved in the state assembly by M Y Tarigami and supported by National Conference which was in opposition at that time and PDP in power.
He said his government has initiated various measures in this directions adding that enactment of Public Service Guarantee Act (PSGA), Right to Information Act (RTI), panchayat elections and transfer of powers to these bodies vindicate his government?s commitment to good governance and public empowerment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!