Revocation of AFSPA to begin during my govt: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said gradual revocation of controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from the state will begin during the tenure of his government.
Addressing a large public gathering at Rajpora in Pulwama district this afternoon, the Chief Minister said the state will witness revocation of AFSPA during the time of his government adding benefits of peace will be circulated all across, an official spokesman said.
Omar said his endeavour is to take peace dividends to every household and make the public fully empowered to ask questions about the performance of government at all levels.
Taking a dig at opposition PDP leadership, the Chief Minister, without naming them, said when they were in power they never talked about revocation of AFSPA or other such related issues.
He said PDP voted against the rehabilitation policy resolution moved in the state assembly by M Y Tarigami and supported by National Conference which was in opposition at that time and PDP in power.
He said his government has initiated various measures in this directions adding that enactment of Public Service Guarantee Act (PSGA), Right to Information Act (RTI), panchayat elections and transfer of powers to these bodies vindicate his government?s commitment to good governance and public empowerment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know