Rights body demands probe in Kashmir mass graves
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir State Human
Rights Commission (SHRC) on Friday recommended investigation by an
independent "representative structured" body empowered to
probe all aspects of unmarked graves in the Valley.
"An independent duly representative structured body having
due credibility and weight, fully empowered to go in (to) all
questions (and) aspects regarding unmarked graves, disappeared
persons ... be constituted and put in place in time," a
division bench of the SHRC said.
The bench, comprising Chairperson Justice (retd) Syed
Bashiruddin Ahmad and Member Javaid A Kawoos, in its six-point
recommendation sought DNA profiling of the bodies in the
unmarked graves in a cluster of villages at various places in
north Kashmir`s Baramulla, Bandipora and Kupwara districts.
The investigative wing of the SHRC, on the instructions of
the bench, had earlier reported that more than 2,000 unmarked
graves existed "beyond doubt" at 38 sites across north
"The bodies in unmarked graves...shall be identified by
all available means and techniques like DNA profile, physical
description, dental examination, distinctive medical
characteristics, finger prints, carbon dating and forensic
pathology (as may be applicable), so that even the identity of
dead, in these unmarked graves is possible with the claimed
disappeared persons," the bench said.
The bench also recommended prosecution of those found
involved in the perpetration of "crime" including culpable
Meanwhile, the SHRC took cognisance of an application
filed by Association of Parents of Disappeared Persons (APDP),
which claimed existence of over 3,844 unmarked graves at 208
sites in Poonch and Rajouri districts of Jammu region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it