Rival Hurriyat factions clash in Sopore
Srinagar: Supporters of rival factions of Hurriyat Conference on Friday clashed at Sopore town in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, pelting stones and hurling `kangris` at each other, official sources said.
The supporters of the two factions clashed as Chairman of
the moderate faction, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, finished his
address to a public meeting at Tarzoo in the town, 55 km from
here, they said.
Mirwaiz`s supporters raised slogans in his favour which
irked the followers of hardline Hurriyat Chairman Syed Ali
Shah Geelani, who hails from the apple town.
Initially, the rival factions engaged in sloganeering but
the situation turned ugly as they hurled kangris (traditional
fire pots) and stones at each other, the sources said.
Police stepped in and chased away the two groups by
resorting to baton charge, they said, adding that no one was
The sources said Mirwaiz was safe as the clash took place
after he left the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday