Rival Hurriyat factions clash in Sopore
Srinagar: Supporters of rival factions of Hurriyat Conference on Friday clashed at Sopore town in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, pelting stones and hurling `kangris` at each other, official sources said.
The supporters of the two factions clashed as Chairman of
the moderate faction, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, finished his
address to a public meeting at Tarzoo in the town, 55 km from
here, they said.
Mirwaiz`s supporters raised slogans in his favour which
irked the followers of hardline Hurriyat Chairman Syed Ali
Shah Geelani, who hails from the apple town.
Initially, the rival factions engaged in sloganeering but
the situation turned ugly as they hurled kangris (traditional
fire pots) and stones at each other, the sources said.
Police stepped in and chased away the two groups by
resorting to baton charge, they said, adding that no one was
The sources said Mirwaiz was safe as the clash took place
after he left the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa