Rival Hurriyat factions clash in Sopore
Srinagar: Supporters of rival factions of Hurriyat Conference on Friday clashed at Sopore town in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, pelting stones and hurling `kangris` at each other, official sources said.
The supporters of the two factions clashed as Chairman of
the moderate faction, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, finished his
address to a public meeting at Tarzoo in the town, 55 km from
here, they said.
Mirwaiz`s supporters raised slogans in his favour which
irked the followers of hardline Hurriyat Chairman Syed Ali
Shah Geelani, who hails from the apple town.
Initially, the rival factions engaged in sloganeering but
the situation turned ugly as they hurled kangris (traditional
fire pots) and stones at each other, the sources said.
Police stepped in and chased away the two groups by
resorting to baton charge, they said, adding that no one was
The sources said Mirwaiz was safe as the clash took place
after he left the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?