Rival Hurriyat factions clash in Sopore
Srinagar: Supporters of rival factions of Hurriyat Conference on Friday clashed at Sopore town in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, pelting stones and hurling `kangris` at each other, official sources said.
The supporters of the two factions clashed as Chairman of
the moderate faction, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, finished his
address to a public meeting at Tarzoo in the town, 55 km from
here, they said.
Mirwaiz`s supporters raised slogans in his favour which
irked the followers of hardline Hurriyat Chairman Syed Ali
Shah Geelani, who hails from the apple town.
Initially, the rival factions engaged in sloganeering but
the situation turned ugly as they hurled kangris (traditional
fire pots) and stones at each other, the sources said.
Police stepped in and chased away the two groups by
resorting to baton charge, they said, adding that no one was
The sources said Mirwaiz was safe as the clash took place
after he left the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price