RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to visit Jammu, BJP`s day-long bandh today
Zee Media Bureau
Jammu: The Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Rao Bhagwat will arrive here on Friday a two-day visit to review the functioning of the organisation in the region.
Bhagwat`s visit comes a day after two audacious terror attacks in Jammu and Kashmir, in which 13 people, including a Lieutenant Colonel of the Army, were killed.
According to reports, during his Jammu visit, Bhagwat is likely to convene a meeting of "likeminded nationalist" groups to devise a strategy to "end discrimination with Jammu and Ladakh regions".
The RSS chief is also expected to hold meetings with the senior RSS functionaries and prominent citizens of the state. He will also address the RSS volunteers and general public at a rally on September 29.
RSS had demanded statehood for Jammu and UT status for the Ladakh region. Sources said various groups raising the demand of separate statehood for the Jammu region have decided to meet the RSS chief to convince the Sangh Parivar to support their demand.
Those groups demanding statehood for the Jammu region have been exerting pressure on the RSS to support their demand for separate state after the Union government granted statehood to Telangana.
In 2002, the RSS had adopted a resolution in support of a demand for the re-organisation of Jammu and Kashmir, in its national executive meeting at Kurukshetra.
It had demanded statehood for Jammu and union territory (UT) status for the Ladakh region. The Jammu State Morcha (JSM) has already intensified its campaign in support of statehood for the Jammu region.
Bandh in Jammu today
The state BJP unit has called for a Jammu bandh today in protest against Thursday`s twin militant attacks in Kathua and Samba districts of Jammu and Kashmir.
BJP MLA Ashok Khajuria confirmed the development yesterday.
President of Jammu Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI) YV Sharma has also expressed support to the bandh call.
Dressed in army fatigues, terrorists stormed a police station in Hiranagar area of Kathua and then an army camp in Samba killing 13 people including an officer in twin attacks after they sneaked in from across the border early Thursday.
The three heavily armed terrorists, believed to be holed up in the camp of the cavalry armoured unit at Samba for several hours after they barged into the Officers` mess, were killed during a fierce gunfight.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India