Ruckus in J&K Assembly over Farooq`s comment on power theft
Jammu: Union Minister Farooq Abdullah`s reported remark on power theft in Jammu and Kashmir led to pandemonium in state Assembly after Opposition MLAs shouted slogans and staged a protest demanding apology from him.
The House witnessed protesting MLAs disrupting the question hour in the Legislative Assembly and later staging a walk out, besides Independent MLA Engineer Rasheed Ahmed being marshaled out after a heated argument with some J&K ministers.
Members of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), led by Leader of Opposition in the Assembly Mehbooba Mufti, along with Ahmed trooped into the well of the House and sought adjournment of question hour to discuss the issue.
The remarks were reportedly made by Farooq, who is ruling National Conference`s supremo and the father of state`s Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, at a function in Delhi yesterday.
The Union Minister, however, today said he had been misquoted by the media.
"I am sad that I was misquoted by the media. I had spoken about power," Farooq told reporters here during a function.
"I had said that it is unfortunate that we buy power for nearly two-three thousand crore but we are not able to get that money back because there is a lot of pilferage of power. Many of our people are stealing power," he said.
"It (pilferage of electricity) happens all over the country. Biggest transmission and distribution losses are in Jammu and Kashmir," Farooq added.
Amid pitched uproar and sloganeering, the house also witnessed vebal duals between NC members including ministers Surjeet Singh Salathia Bimla Luthra, Mohd Akbar Lone and Ali Mohmmad Sagar and PDP legislators and Rasheed over the issue.
Speaker Mubarak Gul later expunged the remarks from the proceedings due to the use of unparliamentary language.
"Farooq Abdullah should apologise for his comment," Mufti was heard saying in the din of the house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal