Safe drinking water provided to 3,000 habitations: J&K govt
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government today claimed that around 3,000 habitations in the state have been provided safe drinking water.
The government also said that more than 1,000 water supply schemes have been launched in its four-years tenure to fulfill the purpose.
"As many as 3,000 habitations were provided drinking water by incurring an expenditure of over Rs 645 crores during the last four years of the current coalition dispensation," minister for Public Health Engineering (PHE) and Irrigation, Taj Mohiuddin said here.
The department has completed 1,031 water supply schemes in this period and more than 10,000 hand pumps were drilled in areas of water-scarcity to benefit the inhabitants.
"J&K has witnessed considerable progress in the sector of Public Health Engineering during last four years and the process of coverage of uncovered areas under the protected drinking water supply schemes received remarkable fillip," he said.
In a drive to provide safe drinking water to educational institutions, the PHE Department has covered 4,360 government schools under this scheme and the process continues with full swing, he added.
In order to ascertain the safety of drinking water being supplied to the people through various schemes, as many as 43 water testing laboratories have been established in the state, Mohiuddin said.
A drinking water supply project for Jammu involving Asian Development Bank funds utilising water from Chenab river to meet the demand of Greater Jammu up to 2030 has been approved, the minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!